The Diocese of Musoma owes its first evangelization to the Missionaries of Africa (White Fathers). Having established Bukumbi as their center for missionary expansion and evangelization of the Lake Victoria Region in the year 1883, they first landed at Nyakatende - Musoma in the year 1897. It wasn’t up until the year 1911 when the first catechumen from the area was baptized.
On 11th April 1946, the Holy See erected the Apostolic Vicariate of Musoma - Maswa under the Most.Rev. Joseph Blomjous, M. Afr as its Apostolic Vicar. However, Musoma - Maswa was entrusted to Maryknoll Missionaries for its evangelization. Four years later, on the 24th June 1950 the Apostolic Vicariate of Musoma -Maswa was split. Maswa remained an Apostolic Vicariate and Musoma was raised to a Prefecture Apostolic under Msgr. Gerard Grondin, M.M as its Prefect.
On 5th July 1957 Musoma was elevated into a Diocese. The first bishop of Musoma, John Rudin, M.M was consecrated and installed on the 3rd October 1957. He was succeeded by Bishop Anthony Mayala from the year 1979 to the year 1987 when he was made the first Archbishop of Mwanza. He was followed by Bishop Justin Samba from the year 1988 till his death on the 23rd August 2006. Bishop Michael Msonganzila was consecrated and installed on the 20th January 2008. He is the fourth bishop of Musoma.
Bishop Michael Msonganzila invites everyone across the diocese to join together in Praying for his Sainthood to be.